Khulna University Road blockade in connection with the beating of three students at Khubi

Khulna University’s angry students blocked the road to protest the beating of three students. The students lifted the blockade after about an hour and a half, promising to ease the suffering of passengers, detain two transport workers, and take legal action.

On Sunday (February 18), from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., the students blocked the road at Zero Point in the city. At this time, Khulna-Satkhira highway and Khulna Mongla highway traffic were stopped. Hundreds of small and large vehicles were stuck around the road.

Asif Mahmud Sohail, a student of the 20th batch of Bangla Discipline in Khubi, said that Labanya Sardar Navya, a Master’s student of the Bengali Department of the University, was coming to Khulna from Paikgacha with her mother and sick sister. He had an argument with the bus driver’s assistant and supervisor on the way over, sitting on the seat. When this incident was told to the new classmates, some students went to the zero-point area adjacent to the university to listen.

He said that when the bus reached the zero point, when the bus driver’s assistant and the supervisor tried to talk, other workers came and beat the students. Navya, I, and Alok Sarkar of the 20th batch were injured in this. When this news spread on campus, the students went to the zero-point area and blocked the entrances of the Khulna-Satkhira highway and the Khulna-Mongla highway.

Yarul Alam Sabuj, another 20th batch student of Khubi’s Bengali discipline, said that bus helpers, drivers, and supervisors often misbehave with passengers. We want a solution to stop this bad culture.

Khulna Metropolitan Police (KMP) Sonadanga Zone Assistant Police Commissioner (AC) Abu Nasser Al Amin said that the angry students of Khubi laid siege at the zero point of the city from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. on the charge of beating three students. As a result, common people, including long-distance passengers, are in extreme suffering. After receiving the information, the police reached the spot and calmed down the situation.

He said, based on the complaints of the students and for causing trouble to various people, we have taken the two transport workers into custody and sent them to the court. At present, the situation is calm.

Khulna University Assistant Director of Student Affairs Raju Roy said that the three injured students were given first aid at the Khulna University Medical Center. Considering the suffering of the passengers, the students lifted the blockade and returned to classes. The students took the matter sympathetically and put the burden of solving it on KMP. Besides, the matter will be discussed with the university administration.